Thursday, April 4, 2019

Do we not feel? Don't we have emotions? Reflections of a single adult orphan.

I love the written word. I find solace in reading and writing. It is through my writings that I can express my feelings on loneliness, abandonment , prejudice, rage, dejection, disillusionment and helplessness.

These are my observations on living as a single adult orphan at the age of 36. In no way am I wallowing in self pity or seeking sympathy. However stories of my kind of people need to be read and heard by the general public so that they can empathize and not pass judgments or unnecessary conclusions.

So here I say, don't we feel? Don't we have emotions? Are we not human beings? Don't we have the right to live a happy life?

Twists and turns in fate and destiny can lead to drastic long term changes in the lives of people. It is resilience and capacity to cope that allows such people to come out of difficult situations.

No one discusses on the topic adult orphans.No one wants to know what kind of lives they   live. And yet if they chose to remain happy, the larger society has a problem with that.

Can't we be happy? Can't we enjoy just for ourselves? As an adult orphan there have been times when I have been called selfish. Is it wrong if I focus on my life? Is it wrong to be self centered?Yes I take myself out for lunch and dinner.I watch movies at cinema halls alone.I watch good movies/TV Shows and read good books. Should I wait for someone to come in my life in order to do this.

Don't we wish to travel and explore? There is a wanderer and explorer in all of us and travelling is something that we all want to do. Why should I wait for that someone special to come in my life? 

Aren't we humans? Don't we wish to be a part of a social circle? How much we wish to celebrate our important days and festivals with someone we are connected to. We also wish for companionship, love, care, affection and compassion.We wish to be loved and want to love someone special.We also look for a larger acceptance. We too have emotions. We brood silently, we keep our sorrows in our hearts. At times we feel sad and there is nothing that we can do about it.

Life is unfair and this is something that we adult orphans have accepted a long time ago. We don't want any form of pity and sympathy from the society.

What I find disgusting is that people question my trustworthiness, character, morals, integrity and background. People take me for granted when they realize that I don't have parents.it gives them the permission to speak whatever they want without realizing how I feel. No one says anything to mediocre men who also happen to be immature just because they have parents.

Can't we have some basic standards? Can't we have expectation?If any adult orphan were to have basic expectations, it goes against them. After all how of all the people can adult orphans can have expectations?Don't we have the right to choose? Are we street mongrels?

Why do we only get those alliances who have no takes? Why have we become someone's last resort , hobson's choice or devils alternative? Is it wrong to have basic expectations?

We may be adult orphans but we too are human beings.Stop criticizing us.Stop telling us to change. Stop telling us how we should live our lives. We know better than you. It is easy to pass comments but difficult to help us.We are what we are and have no complaints.

As normal human beings we strive for a better life everyday and wish to be happy. Just remember that we too are human being and we have emotions and feelings. Stop treating us as subhumans.

No comments:

Post a Comment