Saturday, January 2, 2016

Bhaveen Sheth- DOTSIM- Director Kanu Behl speaks on his dysfunctional family

Bhaveen Sheth - the writer of this blog puts down the true revelations of Indian film director Mr.Kanu Behl. He has directed a movie TITLI that was released in October 2015. In a website he stated that he drew inspiration to direct this  movie based on his own experiences of growing up in a dysfunctional family.



Mentioned below is his statement:

I grew up in a typically patriarchal North Indian family, fighting the dominant presence of my father and the apparent tyranny of him forcing everything down my throat. I rebelled and tried to get out. Run away whenever possible… sometimes even getting close.
The disappointments of aborted attempts aside, each time the desire got stronger. Until eventually, I managed to get to film school, where I decided to construct my own world from scratch. Deleting everything that I hated about my family and their way of life. I made my own rules. Swore to live by them. And setup the utopia. Intent on making things happen my way. The perfect way! However, slowly realization set in that the obsession to get rid of oppression had become so that I had almost imbibed it within myself completely. I was slowly, almost invisibly, becoming what I had hated. In totally different, yet scarily similar ways, I had started behaving like an oppressor towards people who were close to me in my life.
That is what Titli is about. That family is who you are. That roots cannot be dug out. That freedom is not escape. And what the protagonist does when he sets face with this realization. Because I would like to believe that there is a way back, however treacherous, towards home and true ʻfreedomʼ.
Titli is an award winning movie. A movie that anyone who has grown up in a dysfunctional family must watch.
This is Bhaveen Sheth signing off for the I promise to be back with a lot more

No comments:

Post a Comment